Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pushing babies & Spaghetti squash

Last week I registered for a bunch of races to keep my momentum going.  I was a bit irritated because I thought the Cleveland 10 miler was just like all of Hermes other races and you could sign up anytime... so I took my time.  Not so much.  It's just like a half marathon sign up where the price goes up the later you wait.  DAMN.  Oh well.  I signed up for the Fleet Feet 5K which was today and the 10 miler which is next Saturday.  I registered without looking at the calendar, and of course Hubby worked today.  At 10pm last night I was deliberating whether I would run with both kids, which was my only option.  I laid my running clothes out just in case and tried to make a wake up/get kids dressed plan.  Wasn't sure if I would execute or not but at least I had a plan.

This morning came.  I was up at 6:30, dressed and coffee in hand.  The weather wasn't as bad as I feared.  I just bought D2 a new winter toddler bundleme stroller bunting so I figured 'why not' and packed the car.  D2 woke up first (surprise, surprise) and I got her dressed.  We went in and woke up D1.  I asked her if she wanted to run a race with mommy and she perked right up and was ready to go!  I packed lunches/snacks and got my gear ready and we were out the door.  I was still in the mood of 'if we can get there and ready on time then I will run'.  We got 3/4 there and hit a huge patch of stand still traffic.  I thought we were done. These races do NOT wait on people.  We finally got there and it was a low key 250 people group.  I got the stroller put together, buntings in place and kiddos strapped in with hats and we were ready.  All this with 25 minutes to spare. I got in, got my number and we were on the starting line.  I swear that 25 people congratulated me.  I was the ONLY person with a stroller and therefore the ONLY person with a double jogger.  I think I should have won SOMETHING :)

I never post pics of the girls, but I was so proud today!
We were at the starting line and the Hermes mascot asked to take our picture.  I've been stalking their Facebook page all day to see it!  Grrrr. Nothing has been posted yet.  This nice old man starts talking to me and apologizes that I have a flat tire.  WTF.  No kidding.  It wasn't completely flat but it was looking bad.  It was 2 minutes to the start so I basically said... oh well.. I'll do the best I can.  I have always said with this running thing that I am doing it for my kids first and myself second.  My goal is always to run the whole thing but I don't shame myself if I walk some.  Time doesn't matter to me.  I do it for exercise.  How great is it that my kids can participate???  I drug ass the last mile but we finished, flat tire and all.  The kids were great.  D1 waved at all of the lane/corner judges which was cute.  I think she is really enjoying them.  This was her fourth race and D2's first.  D2 was good until about 2.5 miles.  I think she was getting hungry so I ripped open a pack of dehydrated apples and D1 fed them to her.  Worked out great.  We finished.  Between the stroller and the kids its about 70 pounds extra... but we were done.  You would have thought I won the race when hearing the cheers.  I got SO many compliments.  People were taking our picture... it was pretty funny.

We then stopped at Whole Foods.  Love that place.  We got some necessities and I got one of my favorite things ever.  Its a 'chicken' tofu.  OMG.  The texture is EXACTLY that of chicken.  If you have a whole foods.... you HAVE To try it.  Its heavenly and you would NEVER EVER know it wasn't chicken.  SO good.  I had to take a pic.














Then I made spaghetti squash spaghetti.  Was SO yummy.  The best part is that its sooooo low fat & calorie.



Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti

2 spaghetti squashes
Jar of spaghetti sauce
Ground meat (I used bison)
toppings... I used black olives & parmesan cheese
EVOO

Cut squash lenthwise in half.  scoop out seeds.  drizzle with EVOO and place face down on foiled pan.  Cook at 400 for 35 minutes.  Brown meat, store in spaghetti sauce and add any 'extras'.  Remove squash from oven when done and let cool for 10 minutes.  Fork squash into 'noodles' but leave in shell.  Top with meat/sauce mixture.  Top with parmesan and bake for additional 10 minutes.  ENJOY!

I paired this with a spinach, caper, and tomato salad.  Yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment