Sunday, January 29, 2012

Our Healthy Dinner

We try, really we do, to eat healthy.  A friend emailed me a recipe (which of course I had to tweak a bit) and this is what I came up with... pretty good!!  We do eat vegetarian-ish pretty often.  I always feel like its "better" for us.  I was a vegetarian for 2.5 years before getting pregnant with D1 so I've learned to cook this way over the years.

ONTO THE FOOD!

I will tell you what I did different FIRST.  Once the oil was hot and I browned the garlic (a bit extra) I threw in about 1# of shiitake mushrooms that I sliced up.  I then used a 12 oz bag of baby spinach as the green.  Not too shabby!!!



This recipe is from whole foods.

Sauteed Greens with White Beans and Garlic

Serves 6 to 8

Fresh greens combine with pantry classics of olive oil, crushed red pepper and canned cannellini beans in this simple, nutritious side dish that pairs well with hearty entrées. This dish can be made with a mix of your favorite greens such as spinach, mustard greens, curly endive, escarole, kale and broccoli rabe.

Nutrition

Per serving: 230 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 35g total carbohydrate (11g dietary fiber, 1g sugar), 13g protein

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 to 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 1/2 pounds mixed greens, trimmed and roughly chopped, such as escarole, curly endive, mustard greens, spinach, kale or broccoli rabe
1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add greens (in batches, if needed), and cook, tossing often, until wilted and bright green, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a colander as done and drain well. Return skillet to heat.

Add broth to skillet and deglaze, scraping up any browned bits. Add beans and simmer until hot throughout, 2 to 3 minutes. Return greens to skillet, toss gently and season with salt and pepper.





Then I made one of D1's favorite... its been a work in the making.. this time is was FABULOUS!!




My Roasted Butternut Squash & Sweet Potatoes w/Rosemary 

1 med Butternut Squash
1 large sweet potato
2 twigs of Rosemary
1/4 C onion, chopped
3 cloves Garlic, sliced
EVOO
Salt & Pepper

I take a 9x13 pan and drizzle EVOO.  Chop up the squash and potato into bite sized cubes.  If you make them too big then they take forever to cook.  Toss in rosemary & salt & pepper.  Cook @375 for an hour.


Add chopped onion and garlic... and stir.  Cook additional 20 mins.


Done! YUM!
I even cooled some and threw it into the Beaba baby cooker and blended it with some leftover chicken broth (to thin it a bit) and D2 LOVED it!!!
Love the Beaba!
ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment