Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Craft Day

Today I had made plans with a friend to do some pinterest crafting.  I think all my friends now know that I am hopelessly addicted.  So we had decided to make a feather boa wreath.  I had music class with the kids and wanted to make a yummy lunch (also from Pinterest) so I had to stop at the store.  I was in and out and my friend still beat me to my home.
It was a nice day.  Lots of great conversation and some AWESOME food.  I made French Dip Crescents with Au Jus.  Yum.  Mouth still waters when I think of them.  I wrapped up the rest for when hubby gets home (I'm thinking he will adore them as well).  Here are some pics and the recipe of course!  I used provolone (not a fan of swiss).  We did the horseradish as well :)

French Dip Crescents



French Dip Crescent Ingredients:
  • 2 packages crescent rolls, 8 count
  • 1 pound deli roast beef, thinly sliced
  • 4 ounces Swiss or provolone cheese, cut in 16 equal sized pieces
  • optional: Horseradish Sauce
  • optional: Au Jus for dipping

French Dip Crescent Directions:

  1. Unroll crescents onto a large cookie sheet.
  2. Spread a small dab of horseradish on each crescent, then place a slice of roast beef and a piece of cheese on each crescent.
  3. Roll crescents starting from the wide end and ending at the narrow end.
  4. Bake at 375 degrees for 11 to 13 minutes, until crescents are a golden color.
  5. Serve with Au Jus and enjoy!
Easy Au Jus Ingredients:
  • olive oil, just enough to saute
  • 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (I use jarred)
  • 1/8 cup white wine
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 teaspoon flour
Easy Au Jus Directions:
  1. Caramelize the onions in a small amount of olive oil. Add garlic and cook for a minute or two more.
  2. Deglaze the pot with white wine, then add Worcestershire sauce and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
  3. Add beef broth and bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  4. Strain broth and then return it to pot. Add flour and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
  5. Enjoy!
We did actually get some 'crafting' done.  We each made our wreaths but I have yet to find a great ribbon to attach it to the door.  Needs some flair... so its in the 'work in progress' pile.


Not quite there yet
Once the kids woke up it hit me that it was like 60 degrees out (yep Jan 31st in CLEVELAND). I decided to take them on a walk to get the mail (we have a 750 foot driveway) and to just be outside.  It was amazing out.  We must have spent over a hour out there... did I say AMAZING?  It was then like 6:30 so it was time to make dinner.
Earlier I had decided to make YET ANOTHER pinterest meal for diner so I boiled some chicken breasts and let them cool.  I then made Chicken Crescent Bundles.  Lately  I have been all about making quick freezer meals to store for the days I don't feel like cooking.  This one was right up my alley.  The recipe makes 8 bundles so I ended up cooking 2 for D1 and I and then freezing the other 6 for another time.  They were A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  yep, I said it again.  So VERY YUM.  Now... in my usual type A way, I had to tweak it a bit..  I used Philly cooking creme Savory Garlic flavor.  We pretty much can't make a meal without garlic.  We love it.  I also added a bit of cheese on each heap before wrapping them.  I used a mozz/provolone shredded mix.   So here it is:


Ingredients

1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese (softened)
4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided into 2/2
2 tablespoons green onions
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 cup crushed seasoned chicken stuffing

  1. In a large bowl beat the cream cheese, 2 Tbl butter, green onions, milk, salt and pepper.
  2. Stir in the cooked chicken.
  3. Open and unroll a tube of crescent rolls. Don't separate them. Pinch the diagonal seems shut, creating four rectangles.
  4. Spoon 1/8 of the filling on to each rectangle.
  5. Take the opposite corners and twist them together at the center of the bundle. Repeat with the other corners. Do this for all eight bundles.
  6. Put the bundles on a baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter.
  7. Top with a handful of dry, seasoned, stuffing. You can also use croutons if you don't have stuffing. Press down gently to make sure they are secured on the bundle. Put baking sheet in freezer. Once frozen, place in labeled Ziploc bag.
  8. To bake, let bundles thaw overnight or during the day. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until crescent roll is cooked completely.
Tomorrow Stanley Steemer is coming.  Thank goodness... lets just say that our huggies pure n naturals let me down with D2 today.  I thought she was happy as a clam breakdancing on her back on my carpet.. when really she was just using the carpet as a baby wipe.  Ewww.


No comments:

Post a Comment