Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Day & Borscht

Day was good.  I was incredibly tired all day (and apparently even Hubby was because we ALL had a nap at nap time!).  D1 loved the egg hunt we had in the yard.  She quickly became a pro!

I've decided to get back to Bodymedia Fit.  I've been in a weight loss slump lately and it's affecting my mood.. so I have to do something.  Back to logging meals for me.  Atleast for a few months.  It seems like the only thing that works for me.  I'll keep you all posted.  The armband is now out and charging.... starting back tomorrow.  Gonna go for a jog in the morning because Hubby is home.  I'm deciding on what mileage to do.... Hmmmm.  We'll see how I feel when I wake up!

Easter dinner was great.  Hubby loves his ethnic roots.  His mom is Ukranian/Czech and his dad was polish.  What we end up eating for dinner is Kielbasa & Kraut as well as Borscht.  Borscht is an AWESOME soup.  Here's the recipe!!

BORSCHT




4-5 Cups Oatmeal
1 stick butter
2 cans beets, undrained
6-8 hardboiled eggs, sliced
Red potatoes
1/4 cup vinegar (or more to taste)
1tablespoon Salt (or more to taste)

So you take the oatmeal and throw it into a bowl.  You add water to cover the oatmeal and let it sit for about 2 hours.  You add water as the oatmeal soaks it up.  You can add as much water as you want as this will be the soup base.

Starined Oatmeal
Boil and cook the potatoes.  Drain and set aside.

Once you have soaked he oatmeal you strain through a sieve into a large pot.  Discard oatmeal. Add stick of butter, beets & juice.  Stir frequently.  Cook enough to warm... but this tends to stick to the bottom and burn so low heat is all you need.

Add vinegar and salt.  These ingredients are complimentary... so if you think it needs 'a bit more'  add a bit of both vinegar and salt....

Serve by adding potatoes and an sliced egg in a bowl and ladle soup over.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment