Friday, May 25, 2012

Pond plants & Veggie Rotini

Today started with a late wake up.  Last night I didn't feel GREAT. Half of me thinks that my allergies are flaring up because I have a snotty nose in the morning and at night.  During the day I'm fine.  Now Im starting to wonder.  I was pretty stuffy all day dispute the 50mg of Benedryl I took last night and my allergy meds I took today.  I figured a bit more sleep wouldn't hurt.

I got the kiddos up and fed and I knew a friend from Columbus was going to be in the area so I wanted to get my errands done early.  I had to head down to get the stain for the swing set.  I also wanted to stop at a pool store to look for salt wanter test strips.  The place I went to didn't have any.  UUGGHH.  I was on the complete opposite side of the world than MY pool store and I know that walmart carries them but was not nearby there either.  Oh well... there's always tomorrow!  I had mentioned going to get some new pond plants and D1 jumped all over it.  She asked if she could get 'more fishies'.  We have plenty of room, so I map quested the 2 places I normally go and headed in the quickest direction.

We ended up leaving the store with new black Taro, a green Taro, 2 fish, some parrots feather and some duckweed.  I had an interesting conversation with the shop owner about salt in the pond and have since done some research.  Interesting stuff.  I would have never known to put salt in a fresh pond.  D1 LOVED the store.  They have several turtles and she was just amazed.  Tomorrow I will head up to the other store to get my tropical lilly of the year as well as some salt and some more duckweed (her 'serving' was QUITE small).  D1 should love that place too.  Tricker's is one of the oldest water garden shops in the country.  Its apparently world renouned.  They have a HUGE mail order catalog business but since its only about 20 minutes away I obviously go there.  I will take some pics tomorrow.

We released the fish and had lunch.  Hubby was up and motivated so I could spend some time relaxing before he had to go to work.  My friend and her family later stopped by but unfortunately I had to put the kiddos down for their naps before they could get here.  It was nice to catch up.  They didn't get to stay long as their little one was also due for a nap.

The tractor guy dropped off our mower and said that the blades weren't the least bit sharp... oops.  Glad he got they set up then.  Can't wait to get some of this clover stuff taken care of! Can't wait until its GONE.  I have to take a trip to the landscape supply place to get some weed & feed to get rid of all this broadleaf & clover.  I WANT GRASS!!!!

I was able to get a bit of the fort stained.  I got the deck surface and some of the rail before D2 woke up.  I said before, I think that this is going to be an entire weekend job.  I don't mind in the least, its quiet productive time.

Then it was dinner time.  I decided that since its now summer in my book I would break out the summer veggie menu.  This is one of my favorites that I have adapted from several I have tried over the years.  It always hits the spot.... kids love it.... its colorful, healthy and low fat/calorie.  YUM.






Veggie Tri-Colored Rotini


Ingredients
  • 2 TB Olive oil
  • 1  tablespoon  butter
  • 1  cups  chopped sweet onion
  • 2  cups  fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
  • 1  (16-ounce) bag frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
  • 12  ounce box  uncooked tri colored rotini
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2  tablespoons  red wine vinegar
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2  teaspoon  sugar
  • 1  red (or green) bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • grated parmesan

Preparation

1. Prepare pasta as recommended on box.  Drain and put in large bowl
2. Heat olive oil & butter in large skillet.
3. Cook onion; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add corn kernels; sauté for 3 minutes or until lightly charred. Add edamame, and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Tomatoes and bell pepper and cook for 1 additional minute.   
4. While cooking veggies; in small bowl mix vinegar, salt, pepper, sugar and Lemon juice.   
5. Add to pasta in large bowl Add cooked veggies to pasta mixture and toss.  
    6. Garnish with parmesan


No comments:

Post a Comment