Thursday, May 24, 2012

Life around here & Spaghetti Carbonara

Life around here is GREAT.  Weather is cooperating (my new grass isn't liking it though!) and we are now on somewhat of a schedule which suits me perfectly.  The kiddos drive me CRAZY daily but I guess that's what its all about.  D1 and I are now done with mommy & me preschool but we have started swimming lessons.  She begs me not to take her every week and wails the entire time but its getting better.  I just wish I would have started earlier.  D2 doesn't have a choice!

The pool is up and running.  I am still tweaking the chemical balance but I will be there soon!  I have to send hubby to get some salt test strips and I will have my final answer.  We decided to do the saltwater thing this year and I think we are a bit low.  We didn't want to go overboard because draining water is the only way to correct high salt.  Low salt is easy... add more!  We also bought a 1600GPH pump that didn't do much... I am returning it and we just got the 2600GPH pump and that thing will take your arm off... WHOA!  Definitely moving water much better so its a keeper.  We have been in a couple of times but it still pretty cold so the solar cover is on.  Hoping it will warm up in a day or so and be a bit more tolerable!  I also built the frame or our new (used) ladder.  The ladder that came with the pool was PRETTY flimsy to say the least so I got a heavy duty one on Freecycle.  It was missing a frame piece and after some research and refusal to purchase a new one (they wouldn't just sell the piece... you had to buy a whole new ladder) I MADE ONE.  Works like a charm!  Score for mommy!

The last few weeks I realized that my pond was losing water.  Last year I had redone my waterfall and it leaked slightly.  Not sure what happened between then and now but I had a full on leak that had to be addressed.  I had always used the waterfall foam.  I hated the look but it did the job and kept the water flowing where fit should.  This time I wanted to try the natural route.  I took a butter knife in and took out all of the foam on the leaking side and tried to reorganize everything so it flowed where it should.  So far its been over 24 hours and all seems great WITHOUT foam.  Its such a better look & sound going the natural route.  I will continue to tweak things but I think we will be ok.

Hubby was out with his brother a few weeks ago and was clearing more of the ravine.  They cut some of the small trees down with a chainsaw but left some nubs.  The other day I happened to find one of these small stumps with the mower :(  Scared the bejesus out of me.  I was immediately stopped, the motor choked and I smelled smoke.  I jumped off of that mower so fast!  It still works but it skips about a 2" line when I mow.  I'm sure the blade is toast.  I called a repairman and he picked the tractor up tonight... should be back in business tomorrow.  Fingers crossed, I got mowing to do!

Tonight I thought I would have a relaxing night on the porch.  I took the dogs out front to do their biweekly grooming.  Luey needed de-haired.  I bought a FURMINATOR and this is the BEST tool EVER.  I have tried everything.  I used to use a shedding blade and moved to the Dyson Groom late last year.  I was impressed for the first few weeks and then I stumbled onto the furminator. OMG.  AMAZING.  I would have paid $100 for this thing in hindsight!  I have raised & rescued Rottweilers for YEARS and never knew about this thing.  SOOoooooo glad I have now.  ANY DOG with a shedding issue should have this tool.  They have shorthair (which I use on Luey) model and a longhair version as well.  Bubba hates but too but she deals with it.  I also got their nails done... always a chore but done.  Bubba HEARS the work nails and runs so I know its always a battle.  After all this was done I wanted to relax with my laptop, baby monitor, and a glass of wine.  I was all comfy on our front porch couch when a swarm of bugs found my monitor.  Damn.  Guess another time.  I retreated quickly!

This weekend will be low key.  Hubby works all weekend so I will be with children.  My plan is it start staining the playset during naps.  Hoping I can get it all done over the weekend.

I have posted this pic of Facebook and have gotten requests for the recipe.  A friend posted that she had made and awesome dish Spaghetti Carbonara.  She referred me to the Italian cooking bible Silver Spoon.  Here is the recipe.

generous ½ cup pancetta, diced
1 garlic clove
12oz spaghetti
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
½cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
½cup pecorino romano cheese, freshly grated
salt and pepper

Directions
Melt the butter in a pan, add the pancetta and garlic and cook until the garlic turns brown. Remove and discard the garlic.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of salted, boiling water until al dente, then drain and add to the pancetta.
Remove the pan from the heat, pour in the eggs, add half the Parmesan and half the pecorino and season with pepper. Mix well so that the egg coats the spaghetti.
Add the remaining cheese, mix again and serve.

It was really good!  The kids LOVED it.  I did the math in my body media fit calculator and based on 5 servings it was about 400 calories which is NOT bad!!  I even drained SOME of the grease so mine was a bit drier but less calories which is FINE with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment