Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Better day & Treadmill time

Today was a better day.  I woke up early to get on the treadmill but D2 did too so my plan was a bust.  We went to music class and came right home.  It was a dreary rainy day, but it saved me from having to water the new grass seed, plants and trees.  Guess it was a good thing then because I didn't want to do any of it.  We played for awhile, watched a movie and did lunch.  During nap time it became treadmill time.  My new shoes felt like a dream.  I really think I am going to email Reebok as I swear that there is some kind of thread knot behind my foot that should not be there.  Anyways, I got 2 miles in before D2 woke up... UUGGHHH.  Does this kid ever sleep??  Hubby texted me earlier in the day and said that he wished that we could have a peaceful quiet evening when he got home (apparently he had a bad say at work too).... so I asked "what time do I start drugging the kids".  HA!

Tonight I made Mexican Polenta Scramble.  I think it was from Vegetarian Times magazine.... but Im unsure.  Its a hit here, I make it with green peppers and served it with cauliflower.  Here's the recipe!

Mexican Polenta Scramble





Note: Pepitas, olive-green-hulled pumpkin seeds, are commonly used in Mexican cooking and are a perfect snack when roasted and lightly salted. I find them in the produce section of Giant Eagle. Make it a Meal: For supper, serve with a side of black beans; for brunch, with eggs and corn tortillas.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 poblanos or 2 green bell peppers, diced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 16-ounce tube prepared plain polenta, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, preferably sharp
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 avocado, diced
2 tablespoons pepitas, toasted (see Tip, below)
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green and just starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir
in tomatoes, cumin and salt; cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes start to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Crumble polenta slices into the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese, cilantro and lime juice. Serve the scramble topped with diced avocado and toasted pepitas.
Makes 4 servings, 1 1/2 cups each.
Per serving: 315 calories; 20 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrate; 13 g protein; 6 g fiber; 600 mg sodium; 645 mg potassium.
Tip: To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment