Thursday, July 19, 2012

TTA & Recovery

I've been away for a few days.  Still doing my juicing 2x a day and making some awesome meals... but now I am back to playing nurse.  This time for Luey.  Right when you think things are starting to settle down... WHAM.  She had right elbow surgery 1.5 years ago in December because of a limp.  They never saw anything severely wrong... but they cleaned out her joint hoping to find a bone particle and never did.  She recovered well and continued to limp for about 6 months.  Then she stopped and seemed to have healed.  About 3 months later she began with a limp again and we just automatically assumed it was her elbow.  Some days it didn't bother her but lately she was REALLY lame. Now it was obvious that it was her left hind leg.  Hmmm.  It was definitely worse in the morning and after being outside.  I called her Orthopedic Surgeon.

We saw Dr D on Tuesday.  He confirmed our fear.  Our big baby tore her ACL/CCL. UUGGHH.  This meant another surgery, another long period of crating, and lots of money.  Luey just turned 4 on July 9th.  Without saying, we would do whatever she needed, even if it were to the tune of $4000.  Dr D explained the different procedures available and gave me the option of doing it that day or waiting 3-5 days.  We opted to get it done ASAP.  He said that he would not know which procedure would be done until he had some X-rays done under anesthesia because the decision is based on her anatomy.  We had hoped for the TTA surgery vs the TPLO as the TTA has a shorter healing time.  She could be on leash walking in 2 weeks.  Now, we are talking about a 110# Rottweiler.  This isn't some chihuahua that I can carry under my arm.  This was going to be work.  We got a post op call at 5pm that her anatomy was suited for the TTA procedure and all went as planned.  WONDERFUUL NEWS!

Luey spent the night recovering and came home yesterday. I have been her full time nurse since.  Yes, she must be in the crate 24 hours and only out on leash to pee.  The fine print is that her leg must be iced 4-6 times a day for the first 3-5 days and she gets medications four times a day.  She has to be taken outside via leash but can't do steps so I have been slinging her with a towel under her belly to hold up her back legs.  Today the MIL offered us her doggie ramp which is pure heaven.  Helps 100% with the patio steps.  I only have to sling her down the 1st step from the house to the top patio step.  She is doing well. Not much of an appetite and VERY swollen but happy to be home.  I lay in her crate holding her ice packs and she continually gives me kisses and it makes everything worth it.  Gotta love unconditional love <3.

Today Hubby was home so I got to do some serious cooking.  I had never tasted Chilean Sea Bass before and decided it was time.  As a backup I made some Mahi but the winner hands down was the Sea Bass.  I made this with some broccoli cheddar rice, swiss chard and I made Caprese fresh from our garden. YUMMO!

Seared Chilean Sea Bass with Lemon Butter & Capers

2 4oz pieces of skinless Chilean Sea Bass
2 cloves garlic, Minced
1 whole Lemon, Zested And Juiced
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons onion, finely diced
1Tablespoon capers, diced
Kosher Salt And Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375.  Heat olive oil in oven safe pan.  Salt and pepper fish on both sides.  Place in hot oil.  DO NOT FLIP.  Allow to crisp on one side only which takes about 5 mins in high heat. Once crisp put pan in oven.  Cook for 10 mins per pound.  Next take 3T butter and melt in small pan.  Add garlic, capers, onion and lemon zest.  Once onion is translucent add lemon juice (no seeds).  Mix well and take of heat.  Serve fish with seared side up and dress with Lemon Butter.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment