Friday, September 14, 2012

Fall & DIY

To me fall & winter = DIY.  The last 80 degree day in the 10 day forecast was yesterday so I have started to make my 'winter list'.  All spring & summer are dedicated to outside so obviously there needs to be inside projects.  My laundry room renovation is pretty high on the list as is decorating my room and the living room.  I have been staring at the 18' walls for 3 years deciding what to do.  I figured it out a few weeks ago while surfing Pinterest.  The WALA moment happened.  I needed something BIG.  I also preferred that it was inexpensive.  Sure, I could get huge wall art but it would require me to take out a second mortgage.  My other thought was for something functional.  Our house is so open that sound bounces from my kitchen against said wall right upstairs to my (and the kids) bedrooms'.  This is what I did.

My wall has a large window.  I measured 128 inches from window to wall.  I bought two 4'x8' pieces of 1/2" pink insulating foam.  Getting them home was interesting FYI!  I decided to cover them in fabric.  It took awhile to pick out what I wanted fabric wise.  I even bought something and returned it.  The 1st selection was to 'gold' for the room.  It clashed with my tan walls.  I decided on an ivory background with brownish/copperish twig/plant looking things running up it.  Im in love.  I got some spray adhesive and went to work.  I did buy some white muslin fabric to cover the pink first as I was afraid that the pink would show through.  I also waited until the Home Decorating fabric was 50% off at Joann's as well :)

Laying fabric out first

Muslin 1st

fronts finished (let dry before doing edges 
 I laid the panels out and measured the fabric & cut it to size.  I then did the 1st layer of muslin. I pulled and stretched as I went to get any bubbles out.   I then did the decorator fabric and let it dry overnight in the garage laying flat.  The next day I did the edges and folded the corners.


Today we measured everything out and I got Hubby to hold the ladder.  16 feet is pretty high!

Ladder wasn't high enough so we had to convert it
The naked wall

18' of ladder!




















 Here is the finished product!  Hoping it looks "artsy".  Hubby now decided that he needs a bigger TV (sigh).







Next is reusable sandwich bags and then it will probably be the laundry room!  MUAHAHAHA!!!!

Other than these projects I am busy with the kiddos and Mom's Club.  We had our 1st general meeting on Wednesday and I was SO nervous. We had a FABULOUS turnout so it went from nervousness to excitement.  I hope that its the start to a GREAT year.  I have LOTS of ideas of fun things to do... Hope all works out!


No comments:

Post a Comment