Monday, August 6, 2012

Fence & Fast

The fasting has gone well.  I have survived pizza night, Medina Fair night and Bunco night.  Flying colors all the way.  Today..... not so good.  Its day 6 and I broke.  I am completely stressed out with everything going on in my life (which I will explain later) that some sautéed zucchini in olive oil took me.  I know.... pretty funny that it was actually something healthy... but oh well.  Tomorrow I will be back to finish my 10 days (although I will have to try a tad bit of the recipe I am posting this evening!!!).  At least I know that I am on the correct path and that the weight will continue to drop.... 11# to go to get to my goal!

Hubby and I devised a plan today.  We wanted to put up a temporary fence for the dogs since we are having to tear down our fence for the lake excavation.  This project has spiraled out of control at this point.  It started as a lake.... then I though it would be wise to call a barn builder to get opinions on how the barn that we imagine would fit into our pace.  We DEFINITELY do not want to make any mistake that would make us sacrifice an outbuilding.  It was a good call and I am glad we made it.  A very nice Amish man came out and is doing some drawings for us.  The meeting was one similar to when we built out home!  All I could see was dollar signs but I feel that he will be fair.  We will also have 2 others come out to tell us their opinion.  This razing was to be in the 2 year plan but it seems that Hubby is thinking sooner than later.  UUGGHH.  Hubby then thought of a great idea instead of putting the fence back that we could mound dirt and then make a retaining wall out of railroad ties.  Our landscaper came out to give us a quote as well.  MY HEAD IS SPINNING.  All of these pieces have to fit together seamlessly.  We cant dig the lake without building the mounds of dirt... we can't mound dirt where we eventually want a barn.  UUGGHH.  My suggestion tonight was to push the lake dig off for a month to figure out ALL of the details first.  I just don't want to rush and regret.
Temporary fence in!

Doggies new smaller area






I'm also a bit stressed because I have decided to apply for grad school to start next summer/fall.  I think that its something that will HIGHLY benefit our family and it will be attaining a personal goal for myself.  The kids are only getting older which is more reason for me to want to go back to work.  Its all about role modeling.  I think it would be great for my kids to know that I got to stay home with them and then I took the initiative to go back and get my Masters degree.   I hope I get in and I hope I finish.  My fingers are crossed.

Bread chopped
Tomorrow I am having several women & children over to do the annual audit for the mothers club.  Ever since Spring Tea I have been wanting to make a strata.  I chose a country style strata but used italian sausage and added mushrooms.  CAN NOT WAIT TO TASTE IT!!!  Even if its just a bite!
Here's the recipe!

  • 12 ounces breakfast sausage, removed from casings1 medium onion, diced

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 loaf italian  bread, day old or toasted in the oven
  • 2 tomatoes, sliced1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped


  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup half & half
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 8 extra large eggs
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 4 cups fontina cheese, grated (should measure 4 cups after grating)

    1. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9"x13" baking dish.
    2. In a large skillet, break up the sausage and saute in the olive oil with the onion until the sausage is cooked and onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Once done, allow to cool and drain out the excess oil.
    3. Meanwhile, cut the toasted or day old bread into cubes about 1" to 1 1/2" in size, set aside.
    4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the rosemary, heavy cream, half & half, eggs, salt and pepper.
    5. Layer half of the bread pieces in the baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the sausage/onion mixture, half of the tomato slices and half of the cheese. Repeat, layering with remaining bread, sausage/onion, tomato and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or over night.
    6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover the baking dish and place on a baking sheet. Bake 40-50 minutes (until golden brown on top). Remove from the oven and cover with aluminum foil for 10 minutes before serving

    No comments:

    Post a Comment